About us

This is the start of a new adventure for Joan and myself, an exciting new patchwork and quilting shop called Dotty Dolly. We are based in Wellington, Somerset, at 13 Fore Street (opposite the Nat West). You can contact us on 01823 660879.

We are easy to get to from junction 26 on the M5 - come and see us if you are passing by.

Wednesday 21 November 2012

Nynehead Court

The South West has woken up yet again to flooding.  I have just had a telephone call from Debby to say she can't get to the shop on the A38, so will have to go on the motorway, but everybody else wants to go that way and it's taking her forever.  According to the weather forecast it was supposed to be sunny today, and the weather forecast tells me that it will be sunny this afternoon, I will believe that when it happens

On a happier note, we had our first workshop at the lovely Nynehead Court on Saturday.  What a lovely location it was.  It was held in the Orangery, which was a beautiful light space and very warm!  I was slightly worried that it might be a bit cold, so wore lots of layers, that was a big mistake, I was  peeling off layers all day!

This is the orangery, the photograph does not do it any justice at all!  Nynehead Court is just outside Wellington and is a nursing home, with assisted living.  Apart from the main house there are several mews type cottages in the grounds.  The grounds are amazing and they often have Sunday walks round them with the Head Gardener, in fact there is one next Sunday.  The Orangery is used for lots of social events.  A couple of weeks ago they had a breakfast to raise money for Wellington Youth Centre, and the night before we were there they had had a Cheese and Wine Tasting - all very civilised!

This is the view we had from the Orangery of the Church.  The church is rather large for such a small village, so there must have been quite a lot of money at some time.  The branches hide a beautiful rose window, which is not something you see very often on village churches.

This is the view inside the Orangery.  The facilities were really good.  Again my photograph doesn't really do it much justice, but everyone said what a great venue it was, so we will hopefully start to use it in the future.

This is a phtograph of Tip working hard on her bucket bag.  Tip we discovered is the most amazing cook.  She brought lemon drizzle cake and biscuits for everyone.  The lemon drizzle cake was the nicest one I have ever eaten, she tells me the secret is in the amount of lemons she uses, no less than three.  Her biscuits were lovely little flower shapes drizzled with icing and presented so nicely in a cookie jar complete with gingham trim.  I overheard her telling someone that there was to be a weddding reception in the Orangery in a few weeks time and she was making the desserts.  If the lemon drizzle cake is anything to go by, lucky them!

Apart from the lovely venue and the amazing cakes, there was a lot of work completed, and everyone expressed their satisfaction with the day.  Unfortunately in my usual efficient way I failed to take any photographs of completed projects.

I have been working hard this week on Chritstmas orders and presents.  I have managed to get a lot of things done, but not completed, and I am feeling quite pleased with myself.   Debby has been very busy in the shop, although in view of the weather not too busy today I suspect.

I am now going to clean my kitchen floor and then take myself off to my workroom to carry on sewing.




1 comment:

  1. It is a lovely venue in the Orangerie and I did the same thing yesterday and had to peel layers off. I heard that you had a good day there on Saturday.

    ReplyDelete